Creation of new nucleic acid drugs realized by the third platform technology
Expectation for nucleic acid drugs
In the pharmaceutical market, attention is focused on nucleic acid drugs in order to respond to unmet medical needs including cancer and intractable diseases.
This is because nucleic acid drugs have the following advantages.
• Target molecules in cells that could not be targeted with conventional pharmaceuticals can be targeted for drug discovery
• Drug discovery research is possible for any gene as long as there is technology for delivering nucleic acid to the expression site of the target gene
• Higher specificity than lower molecular weight compounds and less side effects
• Unlike antibody drugs, nucleic acid drugs can be manufactured at relatively low cost by chemical synthesis
Issues of nucleic acid drugs
However, existing nucleic acid drugs have the following problems, so the possibility of practical application has been considered limited so far.
• Delivery issues: It is difficult to deliver drugs to the diseased part
• Toxicological issues: There are side effects such as hepatotoxicity
• Blood stability problem: it is broken down in the blood due to the action of enzymes etc. after administration
Solutions by Hetero Duplex Oligonucleotide(HDO) technology
HDO, Hetero-duplex oligonucleotide developed by Professor Yokota Takanori of Tokyo Medical and Dental University has the possibility to fundamentally solve these problems. By establishing the third platform technology next to Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc (ASO) and Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc (siRNA), we will contribute to the creation of new nucleic acid drugs, and to deliver therapeutic drugs to patients as soon as possible I will aim.
|Company name||Rena Therapeutics Inc.|
|Location||Global Business Hub Tokyo, Otemachi Financial City Grand Cuby 3F, 9-2, Otemachi 1-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0004, Japan|
|Establishment date||January 15, 2015|
|Accumulated procurement amount||¥ 1250 million|
|Service||Provide third platform technology|
|Number of employees||15 people|
Global Business Hub Tokyo, Otemachi Financial City Grand Cube 3F, 9-2, Otemachi 1-chome, Chiyodak-ku, Tokyo 100-0004, Japan
Tsukuba Research Laboratories
Central 6, 1-1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8566, Japan